Friday, November 19, 2010

New uses for old frames....

I, like many other home design fanatics, looove Pottery Barn.  I eagerly await the arrival of each new catalog with the excitement of a kid on Christmas morning.  Once it arrives, I love to flip through the pages, not to plot my next purchase (Pottery Barn is pretty much out of our budget at this point), but to find room configurations that I can emulate, furniture styles that I like and can find for less (at IKEA or Walmart, as the case may be), and any other unique design ideas.

I recently stumbled upon a unique idea for jewelery display, courtesy of the geniuses at Pottery Barn:

I took one look and decided that this was something I could more cheaply replicate.  So, I checked out Craigslist for some old cheap frames, and scored four for $25.  I picked two of them to use for this project:


I already had a roll of wire from another project, and was able to purchase hooks at Home Depot for about $2.50.  I decided on silver metallic spray paint (which I already had as well):
 


So, after a little sanding and a few coats of spray paint (I purposely only roughly sanded the frames, as I wanted a "distressed" look), I had my own framed jewelery organizers:

I was pretty happy with how they turned out - and my grand total was only about $7 per frame (excluding the jewelery, of course :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment