Friday, November 19, 2010

And off we go....

So - I'm really doing it. After toying with the idea for close to a month now, I've finally decided to start a blog.  After doing everything to talk myself out of it (telling myself I have 1) no time, 2) dislike writing, 3) nothing new to offer), I have thrown caution to the wind and jumped in to this world that is the blogosphere.

Perhaps a little background first would be helpful to those of you wondering what brought me to this point.  You see, there was a time in my life where I would have scoffed at the idea of publicly voicing my thoughts and opinions, not because I didn't think that doing  so was therapeutic or valuable, but because my life basically centered around work.  My husband and I were married in July of 2006.


At the time, both of us worked 50-60 hour a week jobs in downtown DC.  The pay was great, and we were "living large" in Capitol Hill. Then one day, about three years in to our time on the Hill, we decided that maybe downtown DC wasn't the best place to raise a family.  we began to crave things like yards to mow, houses which didn't come equipped with alarm systems, and DRIVEWAYS!  So we put our house on the market in the spring of 2008, and began the search for our perfect suburban home.

We found it in September of 2008, just 3 days after going under contract with the sale of our old home.  From the moment we laid eyes on it in Falls Church, VA, we were in love:


It had 3 full bathrooms (twice what we had in DC), 4 bedrooms (again, twice what we had), a formal dining room, large kitchen, and decent sized family room.  The yard was a good size by northern VA standards (about a quarter acre), and just LOOK at the front porch!

Needless to say, we were over the moon and excited to start our suburban adventure. We moved in mid-October, and I have been in decorating and furnishing heaven ever since! 

Our first child - a little girl named Heidi - was born almost exactly a year to the day we moved in to our house:

With the arrival of Heidi, we began to re-evaluate what was important to us, and decided that it would be best for our family if I took a break from the corporate world while Heidi (and hopefully other little Bohannons!) is young.  Also contributing to the decision was the fact that my father was diagnosed with brain cancer in January of 2010.  He began a blog here, but hasn't been able to post diligently, as the surgery to remove his brain tumor left him partially paralyzed on his left side, with corresponding vision loss.   So, I resigned from my job in May of 2010, and since then have been working part-time for a neighbor as a financial administrator for her clinical research firm.  It allows me the flexibility I need to be a good mom and wife, but also allows me to contribute financially, which is an (unfortunate) necessity living where we live.

The past year, with all of the changes that have gone on in my life, has really forced me to ponder the big question of - what is my PASSION?  I can say conclusively that I am passionate about being a wife and a mother, but unfortunately neither of those two roles is very lucrative.  Which brings me to the purpose of this blog - I am PASSIONATE about organization, design, and incorporating both in my home (and the homes of others, if they'll let me!).  I hope to share my various projects and ideas here on this blog, in the hopes that it will inspire you as well, and also in the hopes that it could lead into a lucrative endeavor for me.  But if it doesn't accomplish the latter, I still have a creative outlet for a wonderful hobby!

So, happy reading, and I hope that you find what you're looking for here!

1 comment:

  1. what a fun, inventive site! Looking forward to using some of your ideas :)

    Lori

    ReplyDelete