Sunday, February 22, 2015

Playdate Planting


I've recently become kind of hooked on the HGTV show Fixer Upper.  I love the chemistry between husband and wife team Chip and Joanna Gaines, love Joanna's decorating style, and I love that their company, Magnolia Homes, serves as a one-stop shop for their clients, from  finding homes, to renovating them, to decorating them.  Chip and Joanna have truly been able to merge their individual passions into a thriving hometown business that the rest of America is growing to love!

But I digress....Joanna, in addition to being a wonderful designer, also is a great blogger.  Her blog (found here) is full of great DIY projects and inspiration, as well as behind the scenes stories from their show.

It was on her blog that I found this project - terrariums!  A perfect way to bring some long-lasting green into your home without spending a fortune or stressing about plant care.  Succulents are one of the easiest to care for plants, as they can go without water for up to 4 weeks, and really only require a light spritzing with water every so often.  I love being able to enjoy these indoors while the rest of my yard looks like a frozen tundra!

I followed the steps listed in Joanna's blog post (found here) down to the letter, but first invited over my sweet and crafty friend Julie and her boys to join the girls and I in making some of their own.


The pebbles and moss and soil I purchased from Lowes, glass containers were collected over time from Goodwill and various other thrift stores, and the succulents were purchased from The Great Big Greenhouse.



I think the kids were pretty proud of their creations - well, except for Heidi - she was in a mood :-/.



Anyone else doing "green" projects in an effort to usher in spring?





No comments:

Post a Comment